I might be some kind of weird person but I like the flavour of kale! It’s deeper and more complex than iceberg lettuce and it supports other bold flavours well. This bacon and kale salad recipe is full of bold flavours that combine to make a taste explosion!
I used a greens mix that has baby kale, spinach, and chard since they’re readily available in convenient containers at the grocery store. There is less prep when you use a pre-mixed salad mix like these ones.
All of the ingredients for this salad are available in the garden at the same time during the late summer and fall season. This naturally made me think they would be good in combination with each other!
The tanginess of the goat cheese dressing with the savory bacon flavour is nicely offset by the sweet flavours of the apple and sweet potato. Add in a nice crunch from the brussels sprouts and you’ve got the makings of a satisfying salad!
Bacon and Kale Salad Recipe
Bacon and Kale Salad
- 3 strips cooked bacon
- 1/2 large cooked sweet potato
- 3 tbsp dressing
- 1/2 medium apple cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup chopped broccoli
- 1/4 cup shredded Brussels sprouts
- 2 1/2 cups baby spinach, kale, chard mix
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- While you're waiting for the oven to preheat do ahead and cook up your bacon. You can do this in a large batch and save 3 pieces for this salad.
- Once your oven is preheated cut your sweet potato in half and cook for 30 mins.
- Chop the broccoli, shred the Brussels sprouts, and chop the apple.
- Put dressing into the bottom of the jar. Add in the apple, broccoli, and Brussels sprouts. Then add in the cooled sweet potato. Next, add in the cooled bacon.
- The very last thing is to add in the salad mix you're using to the top of the jar.
- When you're ready to eat it dump the contents of the jar into a bowl and combine to coat all of the ingredients in dressing.
Goat Cheese Dressing
This dressing is so simple it doesn’t even require a full recipe card!
At your local grocery store, there should be a type of goat cheese that is spreadable. Sort of like goat cream cheese. Pick up a container of this yummy stuff! The tanginess of the goat cheese adds a lovely depth of flavour to the dressing.
Take 1/2 cup of avocado oil mayo and 1/2 cup of goat cheese mayo and mix with an immersion blender. That’s it!
If you would like the recipe for the avocado oil mayo I make click here and I’ll show you how! I like to use it as a base for all kinds of things like salad dressings, ranch dip, and of course spread onto a sandwich.
Do you have any unique salad recipes to share? I love to learn new recipes all the time!